Area Guide to Torquay
Torquay is the largest town on the English Riviera, with around 65,000 inhabitants. It’s been renowned as a holiday destination since Victorian times and continues to attract visitors in large numbers throughout the year, with plenty of bars and restaurants, beaches, parks and open spaces, 3 theatres, a cinema and plenty of leisure facilities and entertainment for adults and children alike.
A Brief History of Torquay
Evidence of the earliest known settlers in Europe were found in Torquay at Kents Cavern and Romans also visited here. It rose to prominence in Victorian times as it became a fashionable holiday resort, this was greatly helped by the Great Western Railway coming almost to the sea itself.
Famous people to have lived or been born in Torquay include the world renowned crime author Agatha Christie, comedian Peter Cook, actress & comedian Miranda Hart, musician Ben Howard, model & actress Lily Cole, comedian Syd Little, entertainers The Krankies, footballer Colin Lee, entertainer Max Bygraves and hotelier Basil Fawlty.
- The recently dualled A380 from Newton Abbot follows on South from the M5 in Exeter and then becomes known as the Torbay Ring Road which continues across to Paignton & Brixham
- Torquay has two train stations – Torquay (by the seafront) and Torre
- Newton Abbot mainline station has direct trains to Paddington in under 3 hours
- Exeter Airport is around 30 minutes from Torquay
- Flights to many popular holiday & business destinations across Europe
Schools and Education
Schools are one of the major reasons that people move into Torquay. Torquay Boys & Torquay Girls Grammar Schools are leading secondary schools in the country and places are in high demand, there is also Churston Grammar School and Spires selective stream also being part of the Grammar school system in Torbay. Other secondary schools include Cuthbert Mayne, Torquay Academy & Spires Academy. Primary Schools are numerous and dotted throughout Torquay. The Local Education Authority is Torbay Council.
South Devon College is within easy reach on it’s ever expanding Long Road, Paignton site and is now an accredited University Centre. Exeter & Plymouth Universities are both commutable.
Lifestyle and Entertainment
As an estate agency with a strong online and offline presence in Torquay we are trusted to know all there is to know about the region. Therefore, no guide would be complete without a brief ‘where to go’ section.
- Green/Blue spaces. The South West Coast Path runs through Torquay from Petitor in the North past Babbacombe Downs over Walls Hill, to Ilsham Valley, then on to Daddyhole Plain which are all lovely to have a picnic at or just to enjoy the views. Torre Abbey Meadows is a large open space opposite Torre Abbey Sands. Torquay Harbour & Marina is a great place
- For the kids. Amusement arcades abound near the harbour where you can also find Dinosaur World, Living Coasts Coastal Zoo & AMF Bowling. Bygones is a real step back in time in St Marychurch, close to the miniature marvels of Babbacombe Model Village. If the weather is good nothing beats the variety of beaches to be found along the coast. Kents Cavern close to our Torquay office is great whatever the weather and was the home of some of the earliest known Europeans. Riviera International Conference Centre has a wave pool with water slide.
- Culture. Torquay Museum is a short walk from the harbour with some important local finds including some from Kents Cavern. Torre Abbey is another historic site which was originally used as a monastery in the 12th century. This also contains the third largest art collection in Devon.
- Nights out. The night-time economy has always been important to Torquay and accordingly there are a large variety of pubs, restaurants, bars and nightclubs with the largest number being centred around the Harbourside. Our particular favourite restaurants are On The Rocks, Small World, Wellies & The Elephant. For live music we’d suggest checking out Twenty One, Offshore, Rock Garden & One World.
- Sport. Torquay United Football Club is based in Plainmoor near Cary Park Tennis Club and there is also Torquay Tennis Club down by the seafront which is close to Torquay Athletic RFC & Torquay Cricket Club who share a ground by Torquay railway station. For some watersports we’d recommend visiting WeDo for Stand Up Paddleboarding or Jet Set Go Jet Skis.
Available properties in Torquay
St. Marks Road, Torquay
Absolute are proud to bring to market a fine example of taste and elegance situated in one of Torquays prominent and well established purpose built developments at Meadwood. It is one of the best examples we have seen within this coastal apartment building. The current owners have extensively refurbished the entire apartment to a superb standard which offers new owners a fantastic opportunity for coastal living within Torquay's most desirable locations. The accommodation: The 2 bedroom apartment is positioned on the 2nd floor of Meadwood in a prime position to enjoy the fantastic views on offer from the living area. Inside welcomes you with a wide and spacious reception hallway with plenty of space for additional storage. The apartment flows superbly from the hallway and offers a (...)
Meadfoot Sea Road, Torquay
* A Substantial 4 Bedroom Detached House With A Separate 1 Bedroom Annex* 3D Property Tour Available! Hesketh House was built in 2000 to a high standard and has ample and flexible accommodation briefly comprising reception hallway with storage cupboards off, downstairs cloakroom/w.c, 3 reception rooms, quality modern fitted kitchen and separate utility room. On the first floor there are 4 double bedrooms with the master having built in wardrobes, juliet balcony and a superb 4 piece en suite shower room/w.c. There is a further family bathroom/w.c that serves the other 3 bedrooms. To the front of the property the first part of the stairs give access to a separate annex that has accommodation comprising open plan lounge, kitchen/diner with quality modern fitted appliances and split level (...)
Ridge Road, Maidencombe,
Guide Price £1,650,000
Merryfield is a completely unique modern detached residence built in 1994 improved and updated by the current vendors and is a credit to them. The spacious accommodation which is set over two (...)
Lincombe Keep was Torquays 5th highest sale in the past 10 years and also a current record sale for Absolute Sales and Lettings. We were asked to value the property in 2019 after the vendor had (...)
Watcombe Heights Road,
NEW! 3D Property View Available! The previous owner has transformed this original 1960's built detached house into a magnificent individual home of very spacious proportions and condition. There is (...)
***Call 01803 214214 to book an appointment for the afternoon viewings event on Tuesday 31st between 12 and 4pm*** This stunning 5/6 bedroom detached Edwardian residence has recently undergone a (...)
15 Oxlea Road,
With timeless elegance and classical features The Crest offers an attractively appointed detached house sitting amongst pleasant gardens with a benefit versatile accommodation set above the garage (...)
Guide Price £850,000 - £860,000
*** Guide Price £850,000 - £860,000 *** The property has been extensively renovated creating a wonderful flow throughout starting with a double height galleried entrance hall and leading (...)
*** SOLD STC*** Skyfall occupies an elevated position to encompass the fabulous open and distant sea views. The spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated and extended by the (...)
Lower Warberry Road,
Fairview has recently undergone a major refurbishment program with the property being redesigned, re-modelled and extended to form an impressive contemporary style detached residence that offers a (...)
Den Brook Close,
Bay View occupies an elevated position to encompass the fabulous views across the local area and out to sea. The main accommodation briefly comprises; reception hallway with access to a sitting room (...)
Meadfoot Sea Road,
* A Substantial 4 Bedroom Detached House With A Separate 1 Bedroom Annex* 3D Property Tour Available! Hesketh House was built in 2000 to a high standard and has ample and flexible accommodation (...)
***Call 01803 214214 to arrange an appointment for the viewings afternoon on Wednesday 1st September from 2pm onwards*** The Shieling has been redesigned and refurbished over the last couple of (...)
The Ridings forms part of an exceptionally attractive group of listed buildings surrounding a private courtyard in an unspoilt village adjacent to Cockington Country Park. This beautifully converted (...)