Area Guide to Torquay
Torquay is the largest town on the English Riviera, with around 65,000 inhabitants. It’s been renowned as a holiday destination since Victorian times and continues to attract visitors in large numbers throughout the year, with plenty of bars and restaurants, beaches, parks and open spaces, 3 theatres, a cinema and plenty of leisure facilities and entertainment for adults and children alike.
A Brief History of Torquay
Evidence of the earliest known settlers in Europe were found in Torquay at Kents Cavern and Romans also visited here. It rose to prominence in Victorian times as it became a fashionable holiday resort, this was greatly helped by the Great Western Railway coming almost to the sea itself.
Famous people to have lived or been born in Torquay include the world renowned crime author Agatha Christie, comedian Peter Cook, actress & comedian Miranda Hart, musician Ben Howard, model & actress Lily Cole, comedian Syd Little, entertainers The Krankies, footballer Colin Lee, entertainer Max Bygraves and hotelier Basil Fawlty.
- The recently dualled A380 from Newton Abbot follows on South from the M5 in Exeter and then becomes known as the Torbay Ring Road which continues across to Paignton & Brixham
- Torquay has two train stations – Torquay (by the seafront) and Torre
- Newton Abbot mainline station has direct trains to Paddington in under 3 hours
- Exeter Airport is around 30 minutes from Torquay
- Flights to many popular holiday & business destinations across Europe
Schools and Education
Schools are one of the major reasons that people move into Torquay. Torquay Boys & Torquay Girls Grammar Schools are leading secondary schools in the country and places are in high demand, there is also Churston Grammar School and Spires selective stream also being part of the Grammar school system in Torbay. Other secondary schools include Cuthbert Mayne, Torquay Academy & Spires Academy. Primary Schools are numerous and dotted throughout Torquay. The Local Education Authority is Torbay Council.
South Devon College is within easy reach on it’s ever expanding Long Road, Paignton site and is now an accredited University Centre. Exeter & Plymouth Universities are both commutable.
Lifestyle and Entertainment
As an estate agency with a strong online and offline presence in Torquay we are trusted to know all there is to know about the region. Therefore, no guide would be complete without a brief ‘where to go’ section.
- Green/Blue spaces. The South West Coast Path runs through Torquay from Petitor in the North past Babbacombe Downs over Walls Hill, to Ilsham Valley, then on to Daddyhole Plain which are all lovely to have a picnic at or just to enjoy the views. Torre Abbey Meadows is a large open space opposite Torre Abbey Sands. Torquay Harbour & Marina is a great place
- For the kids. Amusement arcades abound near the harbour where you can also find Dinosaur World, Living Coasts Coastal Zoo & AMF Bowling. Bygones is a real step back in time in St Marychurch, close to the miniature marvels of Babbacombe Model Village. If the weather is good nothing beats the variety of beaches to be found along the coast. Kents Cavern close to our Torquay office is great whatever the weather and was the home of some of the earliest known Europeans. Riviera International Conference Centre has a wave pool with water slide.
- Culture. Torquay Museum is a short walk from the harbour with some important local finds including some from Kents Cavern. Torre Abbey is another historic site which was originally used as a monastery in the 12th century. This also contains the third largest art collection in Devon.
- Nights out. The night-time economy has always been important to Torquay and accordingly there are a large variety of pubs, restaurants, bars and nightclubs with the largest number being centred around the Harbourside. Our particular favourite restaurants are On The Rocks, Small World, Wellies & The Elephant. For live music we’d suggest checking out Twenty One, Offshore, Rock Garden & One World.
- Sport. Torquay United Football Club is based in Plainmoor near Cary Park Tennis Club and there is also Torquay Tennis Club down by the seafront which is close to Torquay Athletic RFC & Torquay Cricket Club who share a ground by Torquay railway station. For some watersports we’d recommend visiting WeDo for Stand Up Paddleboarding or Jet Set Go Jet Skis.
Available properties in Torquay
Lincombe Keep was Torquays 5th highest sale in the past 10 years and also a current record sale for Absolute Sales and Lettings. We were asked to value the property in 2019 after the vendor had (...)
This well presented and proportioned 4 bedroom detached residence has accommodation briefly comprising entrance porch, spacious reception hallway, triple aspect sitting room, formal dining room, (...)
Absolute Sales And Lettings are thrilled to be offering for sale this substantial and superior detached house. The property was built in the year 2000 and is nestled in the highly desirable Ilsham (...)
Park Hill Road,
An impressive and substantial Victorian Villa with two stunning 2 bed holiday apartments that makes an ideal home and income investment NEW! 3D Property View Available! Merida is an impressive (...)
Middle Lincombe Road,
St Georges Cottages occupies a tucked away position offering a good deal of privacy with the individual reverse level accommodation briefly comprises reception hallway with 4 double bedrooms (master (...)
Ilsham Marine Drive,
Pandora nestles neatly between the ever popular Ilsham Marine Drive and Ilsham Road at the head of the Ilsham Valley and within easy strolling distance of the beach, green spaces and wonderful (...)
***PART EXCHANGE CONSIDERED*** Green Hill sits in the Chelston conservation area and forms a major part of the original victorian villa which retains much of its original features and has been in (...)
Ilsham Marine Drive,
This is the first opportunity the property has been offered for sale since it was built in 1961 and has been in the current family ever since. Marina occupies an enviable position on the corner of (...)
Den Brook Close,
Guide Price £575,000 - £595,000
*** Guide Price £575,000 - £595,000 *** This most spacious and impressive 4 bedroom detached reverse level residence has accommodation briefly comprising reception hallway, cloakroom/w.c, (...)
Guide Price £565,000 - £575,000
*** GUIDE PRICE: £565,000 - £575,000 *** NEW! 3D Property View Available! This contemporary style four bedroom detached residence has accommodation set over 2 floors briefly comprising (...)
£520,000 - £530,000
*** Guide Price £520,000 - £530,000 *** This spacious 4 bedroom executive style house has accommodation set over 2 levels briefly comprising reception hallway, downstairs cloakroom/w.c, (...)
Offers in Excess of £500,000
This impressive 3 bedroom detached bungalow has recently under gone a full refurbishment programme and offers a high end fitments with accommodation briefly comprising L shaped reception hallway, (...)