Area Guide to Torquay
Torquay is the largest town on the English Riviera, with around 65,000 inhabitants. It’s been renowned as a holiday destination since Victorian times and continues to attract visitors in large numbers throughout the year, with plenty of bars and restaurants, beaches, parks and open spaces, 3 theatres, a cinema and plenty of leisure facilities and entertainment for adults and children alike.
A Brief History of Torquay
Evidence of the earliest known settlers in Europe were found in Torquay at Kents Cavern and Romans also visited here. It rose to prominence in Victorian times as it became a fashionable holiday resort, this was greatly helped by the Great Western Railway coming almost to the sea itself.
Famous people to have lived or been born in Torquay include the world renowned crime author Agatha Christie, comedian Peter Cook, actress & comedian Miranda Hart, musician Ben Howard, model & actress Lily Cole, comedian Syd Little, entertainers The Krankies, footballer Colin Lee, entertainer Max Bygraves and hotelier Basil Fawlty.
- The recently dualled A380 from Newton Abbot follows on South from the M5 in Exeter and then becomes known as the Torbay Ring Road which continues across to Paignton & Brixham
- Torquay has two train stations – Torquay (by the seafront) and Torre
- Newton Abbot mainline station has direct trains to Paddington in under 3 hours
- Exeter Airport is around 30 minutes from Torquay
- Flights to many popular holiday & business destinations across Europe
Schools and Education
Schools are one of the major reasons that people move into Torquay. Torquay Boys & Torquay Girls Grammar Schools are leading secondary schools in the country and places are in high demand, there is also Churston Grammar School and Spires selective stream also being part of the Grammar school system in Torbay. Other secondary schools include Cuthbert Mayne, Torquay Academy & Spires Academy. Primary Schools are numerous and dotted throughout Torquay. The Local Education Authority is Torbay Council.
South Devon College is within easy reach on it’s ever expanding Long Road, Paignton site and is now an accredited University Centre. Exeter & Plymouth Universities are both commutable.
Lifestyle and Entertainment
As an estate agency with a strong online and offline presence in Torquay we are trusted to know all there is to know about the region. Therefore, no guide would be complete without a brief ‘where to go’ section.
- Green/Blue spaces. The South West Coast Path runs through Torquay from Petitor in the North past Babbacombe Downs over Walls Hill, to Ilsham Valley, then on to Daddyhole Plain which are all lovely to have a picnic at or just to enjoy the views. Torre Abbey Meadows is a large open space opposite Torre Abbey Sands. Torquay Harbour & Marina is a great place
- For the kids. Amusement arcades abound near the harbour where you can also find Dinosaur World, Living Coasts Coastal Zoo & AMF Bowling. Bygones is a real step back in time in St Marychurch, close to the miniature marvels of Babbacombe Model Village. If the weather is good nothing beats the variety of beaches to be found along the coast. Kents Cavern close to our Torquay office is great whatever the weather and was the home of some of the earliest known Europeans. Riviera International Conference Centre has a wave pool with water slide.
- Culture. Torquay Museum is a short walk from the harbour with some important local finds including some from Kents Cavern. Torre Abbey is another historic site which was originally used as a monastery in the 12th century. This also contains the third largest art collection in Devon.
- Nights out. The night-time economy has always been important to Torquay and accordingly there are a large variety of pubs, restaurants, bars and nightclubs with the largest number being centred around the Harbourside. Our particular favourite restaurants are On The Rocks, Small World, Wellies & The Elephant. For live music we’d suggest checking out Twenty One, Offshore, Rock Garden & One World.
- Sport. Torquay United Football Club is based in Plainmoor near Cary Park Tennis Club and there is also Torquay Tennis Club down by the seafront which is close to Torquay Athletic RFC & Torquay Cricket Club who share a ground by Torquay railway station. For some watersports we’d recommend visiting WeDo for Stand Up Paddleboarding or Jet Set Go Jet Skis.
Available properties in Torquay
Higher Erith Road,
This original Victorian Villa has been converted to form well proportioned apartments with accommodation briefly comprising telephone security entrance system, private front door, reception hallway, (...)
£140,000 - £145,000
*** Guide Price £140,000 - £145,000 *** This 1 bedroom semi attached house has accommodation briefly comprising reception hallway, lounge/dining room and modern fitted kitchen. On the (...)
***SOLD STC - SIMILAR PROPERTIES REQUIRED*** This recently refurbished and most spacious 2 bedroom first floor apartment has accommodation briefly comprising lounge/diner with picket doors opening (...)
St. Lukes Road South,
***SSTC - SIMILAR PROPERTIES REQUIRED *** This 2 bedroom purpose built second floor apartment has accommodation briefly comprising telephone security entrance system, lift rising to second floor, (...)
Higher Erith Road,
An immaculately presented One Bedroom ground floor flat in a development of a purpose-built block of flats with individual private balconies. The vestibule area contains an entry phone system and (...)
Cary Park Road,
This 1 bedroom semi-detached bungalow is being offered with no chain. The accommodation briefly comprises modern fitted kitchen, open planned living area, double bedroom and a modern fitted (...)
St. James Place,
***SOLD STC - SIMILAR PROPERTIES REQUIRED*** This well presented 1 bedroom first floor apartment has accommodation briefly comprising private front door, open plan living area with superbly fitted (...)
***SOLD STC - SIMILAR PROPERTIES REQUIRED*** This well presented, spacious RETIREMENT APARTMENT is situated on the ground floor of a desirable development constructed by McCarthy & Stone and stands (...)
***SSTC - SIMILAR PROPERTIES REQUIRED*** This mature 2 bedroom terrace house currently requires modernisation and has accommodation briefly comprising lounge/dining room and fitted kitchen with (...)
This spacious 1 bedroom purpose built apartment has accommodation briefly comprising telephone security entrance system and lift rising to the lower ground floor, private front door opening to (...)
Princes Road East,
Guide Price £110,000 - £120,000
*** Guide Price £110,000 - £120,000 *** This well presented 2 bedroom first floor flat has accommodation briefly comprising private front door, stairs rising to reception hallway with (...)
53 Upton Road,
This bright and airy spacious 2nd floor apartment has a secured entrance with entry phone system and stairs to the 2nd floor landing. Front Door to the hallway with access to the loft and a good (...)